Saturday, August 17, 2019

Port wine

Found a bottle of  2009 Blackberry sweet wine in the cellar, while doing a clear-out. So thought I'd try and have a go at turning this into a Port wine! Found a demijohn of 2017 Merlot, and combined these, with some Oak wood chips. Something happened as the Port wine was very clear, and yet I could see that it started working again.
Gave the Oak chips a couple of weeks to do their work, then raked them off. To this I added one litre of Brandy. It continued to keep working, but within 2 days, the alcohol did its work and the yeast stopped doing its stuff. Can't wait to try this out.

This first photo shows the Blackberry and Merlot, ready to rack into the five litre Demijohn. You can also see the one litre of Brandy, ready to go in.
 I marked off the Demijohn, to help with the correct amounts.
 I labelled the Demijohn, so as to not to bottle it as normal wine.


I know that it is not the correct way to manufacture Port wine, but I'm a creative person still in my old age! Time will tell. Should make six bottles (750 ml) of Port wine.
Will have to create a new Port wine label for these, before bottling time.

 Have called this a vintage Port.









No comments:

Post a Comment