Saturday, August 17, 2019

2019

I retired from work this year, with my health in decline.
Have been working in the Vineyard most days. Now all of the pruning has been done, the vines are looking good. Have tried again to graft onto the riparian root stock (RS) some Merlot. These are to take place of the vines that died, due to wet feet I'm thinking. I rains a bit here in the winterless north. Watched a few videos on Youtube and saw one were a guy cut into the RS, half way from both sides, staggered of course. This helps stop the bleeding when trying to graft on further up the vine. It works, as soon as I made the cuts, the vine started to bleed from these. The grafting was done onto last years wood.
To help prove that this could work, I did a few without the lower cuts. Labelled these (1) onto the grafting tape with a permanent marker. Then all the later ones I did I marked with (cut).
The lower cuts when first bleeding, ran clear. But these cuts now show, a whiteish  bleed. This appears to be slowing down as well.
The buds on the grafted Merlot, seem to be swelling now (16/08/19). So will keep an eye on these.
 The cuts bleed shows white now.
 Grafts shown here, were done a various times, during winter time.
 Have marked (cut) onto the grafting tape. This was hard to do onto the flexible tape!
 Four different views of the grafting shown here.

I have been trying to graft onto to these RS for a few years now with no success. This is the year, I'm hoping.
Will keep posting new photos this year. I'm hoping that the grafts will take.

No comments:

Post a Comment